Here are some characteristics of healthy marine fish:
- Their colors are bright.
- They search actively for food.
- Their fins are held erect.
Follow these tips to avoid taking home unhealthy saltwater fish:
- Watch out for rapid movement of the gill covers (“panting” or “gasping”). This could indicate that the
fish is infested with parasites.
- Beware of ragged fins and the presence of lesions, open wounds, or similar abnormalities. Fish can lose a bit
of fin tissue or a scale or two without serious consequences, but any damage should appear to be healing.
- No bloodiness or cottony fungal growth should be